Friday, January 16, 2009

Some of the Latest


Oh, my, it has been a while, hasn't it? Holidays have come and gone, a new year has begun, and a bunch of other stuff happened, too. I'll get to that. First, I want everyone to know that we had a fun, busy, well-traveled Christmas. Some of you may have seen a picture looking similar to this on a Christmas card:
...and those who have children know that this is just one of about 100 shots. What nobody outside my immediate family knows, but to which this picture gives some evidence, is that neither of my children was wearing pants. There, I said it. Merry, merry, y'all!

 That is my happy boy, Ben. He's 20 months old now and still the sweetest little boy you ever met! I haven't thought of a good or easy way to say this, so I'll just get clinical.  Landy, Ben, and I went to the Genetics office at UNC for genetic testing in November, thinking we would all receive testing to discover the likelihood of passing on whatever genetic anomaly has caused Ben's periventricular heterotopia to possible future children or if John and Ben could carry that gene as well. We certainly didn't go expecting a diagnosis of any sort, but let's just say that we didn't get what we came to find.  After speaking at length to a genetic counselor, we were greeted by the doctor, who had reviewed all of the materials I had brought. (I have a sizable file including all of Ben's medical records, photographs, therapy histories, etc.) She sat down, gave us a smile, and said, "Ben has microcephaly. He will never be normal." I'm sure that she threw in a few other words and phrases here and there, but that's all I could hear. She and her words now live on Ben's Chances of Microcephaly Spectrum, she at one end, Ben's disagreeing pediatrician on the other, and his neurologist in the middle. He says it's just too early to make a diagnosis like that. Let me just tell you that microcephaly can be terrible. I don't want it. Since November, I have gotten up every day and worked very hard on accepting that this may very well just be, and most days I manage to enjoy my children, my friends, my husband, a book (ok, half a page of a book), a glass of wine (ok, 3 glasses of wine), or other things normal folks enjoy. 

BUT. I also have THOSE days. There are days when I just can't do it. I start to feel angry and resentful, and I focus on what other people have. On those days, I hate Jon and Kate and their 8 perfect children, I hate Dora the Explorer and her big fat head, I hate some perfectly nice looking lady in a waiting room who has a 14 month old who is climbing all over the chairs and pointing at everything, saying words, and I hate feeling that way. So I chase that all out of my mind. But. let. me. tell. you. I don't know if there is a worse feeling in the world than realizing that you are jealous of your own child. Sometimes, when John tells me something I can't believe a 5 year old knows, or when he asks me to time him as he runs up and down the hallway, I have to concentrate very hard to feel proud or playful instead of wondering if Ben will ever be able to understand or do things the way his brother does. PLEASE KNOW THAT I DO NOT FEEL THIS WAY ALL OF THE TIME, so please, I don't want anyone to show up at my door with a straightjacket and take me away. Not unless you're going to take me to a place where I can sleep and get spa treatments and then bring me back after the weekend. 

When I feel that low, I am forced to remind myself that although Ben might not be a normal little boy, he is a happy and healthy little boy. He has physical therapy, not chemotherapy. He has a neurologist, not a cardiologist. He has a cold that will go away, not a fragile immune system that leaves him vulnerable. I go to bed thinking about what he will be able to do someday, taking for granted that his someday is a long way off. While I sometimes fear what life will be for him, I do not fear for his life. 

I love you, Ben. 
I love you, John.
I love you, Landy.
I love you, friends.
 
Thanks for listening while I got all that out - I promise to lighten the mood next time!

7 comments:

Ellen said...

Oh, allie. Thank you for posting this--your journey. I am at a loss as far as what to say--I feel heartache with you on "THOSE DAYS" and joy with you on the other days when you can just "be" with the book, glass(es) of wine and the good company of sweet friends & family.

I will pray for you--to have more days when you can simply rest in what is and that you feel some semblance of peace there.

Keep posting! It's cheap therapy...

Anonymous said...

Pants are over-rated, really. Your boys are so beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Pants, smants. They would either be too short or too long or in our case dirty (3x this week). You know I love you and am always here for you, even tho it is "on the other end" of Walters.

Ivy

leah said...

i'm so glad you write so honestly, allie! it reminds us all to be more thankful for our many blessings - including the ones that might otherwise not be the blessings we asked for. i miss you so much! too bad we don't live closer. *wink, wink*

what do you say we try to make a playdate at the park soon - or a house -whatever - i just wanna see you!

Brittany said...

love your entries. love your perspective. love the way you love your boys. it's very admirable.
your baby boys are blessings from above. period. thanks for being so open and honest, it is so refreshing!
prayers for baby ben and "good sprint" times for john in his laps down the hallway.
love your blog - welcome back! :-)

May said...

Hi from Europe!
I don't know how I landed on your blog (probably via someone else's) and just noticed that your son had been diagnosed (or not) with microcephaly. My son is now four years old and was microcephalic at birth, head circumference measuring at 31cm if I remember correctly. I don't know if you'll ever feel up to it, but if you do, do check out my blog and the entries tagged "from the back of my closet". What's making me feel sad is that some peds tell it's ok, some tell you it's not. You don't feel quite ok with parents whose kids are normal, nor with parents whose kids are "special needs". My son does have developmental delays - we still don't know to what extent; it might be that he continues to develop as expected albeit slowly, or his development might stop at some point. It's hard coping with it.

All the best,
May

ps. the worst thing you can do is google for microcephaly. that will just drive you crazy.

Benjamin Cruce said...

Allie, I am sorry for just now educating myself on your son's condition. I am reading James Watson's DNA because it is an interest of mine. Periventricular heterotopia seems very complicated. The ARFGEF2 and FLNA genes, chromosome 5, etc. Has the geneticists told you whether it is X-linked?

What is strange is how the DNA codes for proteins responsible for moving the vesicles in the cell, or forming the cytoskeleton for movement. It seems difficult to pinpoint, and I am sorry that such a low incident disorder fell on you.

You are very courageous for posting your emotional journey. Your life seems so blessed in many ways. I use to take care of the disabled (MS, autism, MR, etc.) It is a full-time job, but worth it.

I only wish you the best, my favorite movie is called
Lorenzo's Oil that came out the year we graduated H.S. It is very moving, but sad. I could not imagine being a Father going through the precarious pain. Once again, blessings to you, Landy and your family. Hope continue to share....sorry this was so long.